Friday, March 19, 2010

IN LOVING MEMORY



Today's post is dedicated to my sweet Grandmother who passed away last night, March 18, 2010, just a few days after her 87th birthday.

She was a mother, daughter, aunt, sister, friend, Grandmother and Great grandmother. She wasn't your typical tea sipping, blanket crocheting Grandma. She was so full of life and ALWAYS the life of the party. Even well into her 80's. She was a true Italian beauty. Just look at her skin and dark hair. Even on her death bed she looked pretty. Barely any wrinkles! I always loved her widow's peak and luckily I inherited that from her as did my cousin, David.

Grandma.....I'll always remember your thrift store fashion shows, your birds nests, your Italian cooking, your zest for life, your driving skills (scary), your laughter, your always willingness to have a good time, the way you always had one slice of Italian toast for breakfast dipped in coffee in one hand and a cigarette in the other, your obsession with Young and the Restless back in the day, on my wedding day when you told my new husband "that if he messed with your Granddaughter you were gonna give him one of these" while holding your fist up to his face. Haha this is making me laugh out loud right now!!! Most importantly I will remember the way you treated me. Out of 5 Grandchildren, I was your only Granddaughter and you always made me feel special. You would always introduce me as your "only Granddaughter". I will miss you terribly and your legacy will live on!

When a family member or a loved one dies it sort of throws you into reality and makes you think about what you want in this life and what you want to be remembered for. We are only given a short # of years on this earth and we need to make them count. It made me think about how unimportant money and "things" are. You can't take that stuff with you. I don't want to be remembered for my awesome designer jeans or how much money I had. I would like to be remembered for being a good, loving person who made a difference in people's lives. This, fortunately is how I remember my Gram. We need to remember to tell the people that we love how much we love them more often. We need to try to not sweat the small stuff because it isn't important in the grand scheme of things.

Here is to a life well lived. I love you so much. Thanks for all of the memories. Till we meet again someday....



Below is a picture of all 4 of her Grandsons who she was so proud of!
All 5 Grand kids all together for my wedding weekend.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Julie
What an absolutely loving and beautiful blog about your grandma. I only met her a couple of times in the last 11 years...but she was an incredible woman, with an incredible aura and energy! My heart goes out to you, your family and your Mom. It is so true about sweating the small stuff! The way we connect and love is what defines us and I can tell she loved you and you returned her love immensely. Her life was well lived! with loving wishes, Linda