Tuesday, May 31, 2011

THE SOUNDS OF SUMMER

Kansas had a BRUTAL winter.  As of last week it still really felt like winter.  Yesterday was the first day of hot and sunny humid typical Kansas weather.  Sure we have had little tastes of it over the past month but nothing consistent.

Yesterday afternoon I thought I would sit on my back porch and try to soak up some rays and try to change the color of my pasty, white skin.  I headed out with a magazine.  Everytime I tried to read the magazine my attention was elsewhere.  I finally decided to quit trying to read and I closed my eyes.  In true Kansas fashion the wind was something to be reckoned with.  It was a warm wind though.  Something I haven't felt in months.  I just took in some deep breaths and I could smell my neighbors smoker cooking up something delicious.  I could hear the childrens screams and laughter at the neighborhood pool that is two doors down.  As I looked that direction I saw a little boy do a cannon ball into the water.  In the other direction I heard the sounds of a lawnmower and a weed wacker working hard to cut the lawn.  Directly in back of me I saw my neighbor cleaning her windows from the outside.  Trying to clear away the remnants of our nasty winter.  I then noticed a girl riding her bike with nothing but her swimsuit, goggles and towel headed to the pool.  Several families walked by my house taking a leisurly Sunday stroll and enjoying the weather.  The hibiscus plants I planted last week have several new buds growing and big blooms growing.

Summer is finally here.  When the days are long and lazy (kind of).  When there isn't bedtimes or homework deadlines.  When I can sit outside and drink my morning coffee or evening wine.  When my kids can run around shirtless and shoeless and it's ok.  When baseball season seems to last FOREVER!  Summer means trips to the library and doing fun things with my kids, the constant smell of chlorine and sunscreen, tan skin, blue skies, emerald grass, mosquito bites, the scent of citronella, abundant fresh fruit, farmers market's, backyard bbq's, sangria and margaritas, sundresses and flipflops.

School is out tomorrow for my kids and I am surprisingly looking forward to having them home!  What does summer mean to you?

 
Jules

No comments: