Wednesday, June 8, 2011

NEW RECIPE #8: EASY STROMBOLI

I know I have been a slacker on the "new recipe every week" issue.  That was my New Year's Resolution.  We all know New Year's Resolutions only last 2-3 months at best right?  Well at least for me they do.  I always start the new year with great intentions and by March it's over.  I actually have done more than 8 new recipes this year but have been to lazy to blog about it.  I need to continue because recently my husband told me that he has really enjoyed all of the new experimentation in the kitchen.  I have found some killer recipe's as well!

Last night I made something called easy stromboli.  I am a calzone/stromboli type of gal.  If you give me the option between stromboli or pizza I will almost always go for the former.  My kids are picky so they are always my judges and they gave me 2 thumbs up for this one.  Brady even said mid bite, "this is soooooooo good."  Awesome!  Mission accomplished!  Let me add that this was so quick and easy that it almost felt criminal. There was minimal clean up too.  Recipe as follows:

EASY STROMBOLI:
1 can Pillsbury Country Italian Bread Dough (13.2 oz)....I couldn't find this so I just used Pillsbury refrigerated thin pizza crust dough.
6 slices Genoa Salami (can add more)
2 pinches Kosher salt (plus more for the top)
A good sprinkling of Garlic powder
A few Pinches of dried oregano, crushed between your fingers (plus more for the top)
A couple pinches of red pepper flake
A liberal sprinkling of freshly ground Parmesan (plus more for top)
6 pieces Provolone cheese, broken in half to facilitate rolling
several slices of pepperoni
pizza sauce for dipping

PREP INSTRUCTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350.  Place a piece of parchment paper on a rimmed sheet pan.  Unroll the bread dough and place on a lightly floured surface.  Unrolling this kind of dough can be challenging, so have patience.  When unrolled, the dough should form a rectangle.  Lay the dough so that the long edge is closest to you.  Make sure the dough is not overstretched in some spots, or the filling will burst out in those areas.
Place 6-8 slices of salami on the dough, leaving a 1/2" border around the edges.  Sprinkle on a little kosher salt, some garlic powder, oregano, and red pepper flakes.  Add the Parmesan and provolone cheeses. 


It's easier to roll the dough when you break the provolone in half when adding it to the top of the dough.  Finally, add as much (or as little) pepperoni as you want on the top of the provolone, making sure to leave a 1/2" border around the rectangle of dough.  Starting from the edge closest to you, roll the dough like a jelly-roll (or cinnamon-roll style).  As you roll the dough, make sure to keep all of the ingredients tucked inside and pinch the ends as you roll to keep the filling from slipping out as you roll.  Carefully pinch the seam shut (and the ends).  And place on the sheet pan seam-side down.  I made two because I have hungry kids and I was hoping for leftovers.  It's a little phallic looking or maybe I just have a dirty mind?

Anyhoo...lightly sprinkle the top of the dough with kosher salt, dried oregano, and grated Parmesan.  Bake for 25 minutes or until the crust is a deep brown.

Let rest 5 minutes before cutting into 1" slices.  Serve with some warm pizza sauce for dipping.

Like I said....2 thumbs up!

I got this recipe from http://www.ourbestbites.com/.  I'm already searching for my recipe for next week.  Stay tuned!

Jules

No comments: