Saturday, April 7, 2012

RESURRECTION ROLLS


Easter is tomorrow and I just really don't want my kids to think that Easter is about candy and bunnies and eggs.  I want them to know the real reason that we celebrate Easter.  They already know about how Jesus died and was resurrected but I just wanted to hammer home what this really means.  I have been wanting to do this for the past few Easters but sadly life has just been so busy.  It is so silly to think about.  I think, at least my family, really needs to settle down and quit being in such a hurry all of the time.  The kids are so active with extra-curricular activities that it is really making life a little stressful.  I understand that I have 3 boys and my life will probably never again be at a relaxed pace but I all I wanted was just a 30 minute block of full attention time from my three little beasts sweeties.  I was sort of successful in that mission except for the 2 year old said sweetie   had no idea what I was doing and was talking the whole time (sigh).  At least I tried and I know that my older two got a little lesson out of it.  We made resurrection rolls.  So the ingredients are few.  You need 1 can of refrigerated crescent roll dough, 8 large marshmallows, melted butter and a cinnamon/sugar mixture.  The marshmallow represents Jesus because it is all white and pure and without sin.  You dip the marshmallow in melted butter representing the embalming oils:

Next you put the buttered up marshmallow in the cinnamon/sugar mixture representing the spices used to prepare his body for burial:


Next you wrap the marshmallow in the crescent roll dough to represent Jesus being entombed.  Be sure and really seal the edges well.  I learned this the hard way.  As the marshmallow cooks and it isn't sealed properly it becomes a HUGE mess on your baking pan.  And if you are like me and wait to clean the pan the cooled marshmallow is really hard to scrub off of your pan.


Please disregard that my pans are very well "seasoned."  I promise you they are clean.  After so many years my pans begin to look gross!  Anyway...the next step is to pop them into a pre-heated 350 degree oven for about 12 minutes.  During that 12 minutes I read John 20:1-18 in the Bible.  I was surprised that my children really understood.  We talked about how crazy that must have been for Mary to find Jesus missing in his tomb only to realize that he was alive behind her! 
So then you pull out your rolls and cut into them and the marshmallow is gone representing Jesus.  He has risen!!!


Not only was it a good memorable lesson but these rolls tasted really good too!  They tasted just like cinnamon rolls.  Everyone loved them!
I just love Easter because it is a time to share with family members without all of the hoopla of Christmas.  All the stress of presents and such.  My kids do get a little somethin somethin on Easter but not like Christmas!  Have a happy Easter!!!!

Jules

No comments: