Monday, April 2, 2012

CAKE POPS

My new favorite recipe!  This is very kid friendly and adult friendly.  I like them because it is just a little tiny dessert. If I eat one I know it is just a dainty portion so I don't feel to guilty.  My kids of course love it when I put sprinkles on them but I just prefer them plain.

Cake Pops:
1 box cake mix (I used Duncan Hines devils food cake)
1 can of frosting (I used plain ol chocolate
1 package chocolate bark
2 TBSP vegetable shortening (crisco)
pop sticks (you can get them at any craft store), you could also just use toothpicks

Make cake according to box.  While the cake is still hot crumble it up into a bowl and make it turn into crumbs:


I just take two forks and break it up until it is really fine.  Next take about 1/2 of your container of frosting and just mix it in until the cake looks like this:

Looks kinda gross doesn't it?  I assure you it isn't!  Then I just took about 2 TBSP of this mixture and rolled them into balls and stuck my sticks in:


One cake mix box makes about 2 dozen cake balls.  I may or may not have eaten alot some of the cakey/frosting mixture leaving only about 1 1/2 dozen.  Anyway, next step is to put the balls into the fridge for an hour or two to sort of cool and set up.  After they are pretty firm you melt your chocolate with the shortening.  I just used the microwave.  I have tried this without the shortening and the chocolate was not thin enough to coat the balls nicely.  If you add the shortening it just makes the chocolate really smooth and much easier to handle.  So just dip the chilled balls into the chocolate and place on some wax paper:



You can keep them plain or dip them in sprinkles:


Put them back in the fridge to set and you are done!  Go do it and your kids and friends and neighbors will be impressed.  Not only are they cool looking but they are seriously yummy!

Jules

2 comments:

Jules said...

Looks DEELISH!

For the dipping chocolate, it is just the chocolate bark & shortening (not the other 1/2 of the frosting)- right? I may add these to our Easter menu, since I could make them a day ahead of time!

Just Jules said...

Yes, Jules! Only melt the chocolate bark and shortening. You could do any flavor. I once did lemon cake with white chocolate bark and they were really yummy too!