Wednesday, January 12, 2011

NEW RECIPE #3: CHILI STIR FRY WITH SCALLIONS AND SNOW PEAS


Ok...another week-another new recipe.  I have to say I wasn't a huge fan of this recipe but everybody in my family claimed that they were.  I am not really a beef person.  I think I would have liked it better if it was with chicken or shrimp?  It was easy though.  One tip with stir fry is to have everything cut and ready before starting the cooking process.  It is less stressful that way and it goes alot quicker.  I got the recipe from Aida Mollenkamp on the cooking channel.  Has anyone ever watched her show?  I don't know if it is just me but I think she is really beautiful.  She has that natural beauty thing going on.  I feel like she would look just as amazing rolling out of bed as she does when she is on TV.  Google her and see for yourself......Told ya!
Anyway, here is the recipe:

Serves 3-4 ( I doubled it to feed my family of 5)
2 TBSP chili-garlic sauce (I only used 1 TBSP b/c my kids can only handle so much heat)
2 TBSP Soy sauce
2 TBSP mirin or sherry (I omitted this)
1 Tsp honey
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
2 tsp cornstarch
1 pound flank steak, trimmed and frozen briefly (easier to cut if partially frozen)
S and P
6 scallions, ends trimmed and thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves; minced
1 TBSP grated ginger
12 oz. snow peas (I used sugar snaps)
the recipe doesn't call for but I also added a pkg. of sliced mushrooms and a head of broccoli

DIRECTIONS:
Whisk the chili garlic sauce, soy sauce, mirin, honey, sesame oil, and cornstarch together in small bowl and set aside.  Cut the beef lengthwise alone the grain into 3-4 (2 inch) wide pieces.  Slice each piece of beef across the grain into paper thin pieces, about 1/8 inch thick.  Pat beef dry and season well with S and P.
Heat 1 TBSP oil in medium nonstick skillet over high heat just until smoking.  Add the beef and cook, stirring rarely, until well browned, about 4-5 minutes.  Remove to a plate
Return the skillet to the stove over medium low heat.  Add the remaining 1 TBSP of oil, half of the scallions, the garlic, and the ginger, and cook until just fragrant and starting to color, about 30 seconds, Stir in the snow peas, mushrooms and broccoli, and cook, stirring occasionally, until broccoli and snow peas are bright green, about 2 minutes.  Whisk in the chili garlic sauce mixture, then remove the pan from the heat, and add the beef and accumulated juices.  Toss to coat and transfer to a serving platter.  Top with remaining scallions.  I served this over rice.

Next time I will probably try this with chicken.  This was definitely an easy weeknight dish!

Jules

No comments: