Thursday, January 20, 2011

NEW RECIPE #4: LEMON CHICKEN BREASTS

I can't believe the lemon chicken breast recipe is the first recipe I have tried out of my new Ina Garten cookbook.  I actually had the pleasure of going to listen to her speak and get my autographed copy of her new cookbook!  I am not one to go crazy over celebrities.  In fact, I can't really imagine who else I would ever go listen to again.  There is just something so calming and reassuring about Ina.  She makes you feel like you can cook anything.  She seems so happy and relaxed.  I feel like she is smiling and cooking all day everyday in her beautiful rustic Hampton's home, where her show is filmed.  I would love to be her house guest.

The recipe is a perfect weeknight meal.  Very simple ingredients.  How can you go wrong with chicken, lemon, garlic and white wine? The chicken was very juicy and the sauce was delicious!
Even my boys (all 3) liked it.  Brady did douse the chicken with BBQ sauce but he still liked it.  Jake said it was soooo good that he didn't need anything on it :).

LEMON CHICKEN BREASTS: Serves 4

1/4 C. Olive oil
3 TBSP minced garlic (9 cloves)
1/3 C. Dry white wine (I used Vermouth)
1 TBSP. grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
2 TBSP. fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 Tsp. dried oregano
1 Tsp. minced fresh thyme leaves
Kosher salt and black pepper
4 boneless chicken breasts, skin on (6-8 oz. each)
1 Lemon

Preheat oven to 400
Warm olive oil in a small saucepan over medium low heat, add the garlic, and cook for just 1 minute but don't allow the garlic to turn brown.  Off the heat, add wine, lemon zest, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, and 1 tsp. salt and pour into a 9x12 inch baking pan.

Pat chicken breasts dry and place them skin side up over the sauce.  Brush chicken breasts with olive oil  and sprinkle them liberally with S and P.  Cut lemon in 8 wedges and tuck it among the pieces of chicken.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken breasts, until the chicken is done and the skin is lightly browned.  Cover pan tightly with foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes.  Sprinkle with salt and serve hot with pan juices.

We will definitely be making these again!  I served this with lemon scented angel hair pasta and sauteed mushrooms.  My boys were stuffed!

Jules



1 comment:

Jules said...

We'll need to try these- they look DEE-LISH!