Sunday, January 30, 2011

NEW RECIPE #5: CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP


I can't believe it is already 5 weeks into the new year and I have actually kept up my resolution to make a new recipe every week.  Last Friday I made the most delicious chicken tortilla soup.  I love chicken tortilla soup and for some reason have never made it.  I am not kidding when I say that this recipe ranks up there with some of the best I have ever had!  I know that is a pretty bold statement but fer realz.....this soup is good.  I think the secret ingredient was the corn meal you add close to the end of the cooking time.  It really added a certain depth of flavor that was such a pleasant surprise.  It slightly changed the consistency to a thicker soup also which I loved. 

I got the recipe from www.pioneerwoman.blogspot.com.  If you have never read this blog I beg you too.  I love the woman who writes it and I am also begging you to make this soup.

CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP:
2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 T. Olive oil
1 1/2 tsp Chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 T. Olive oil
1 C. diced onion
1/4 C. diced green bell pepper
1/4 C. Red bell pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can Rotel tomatoes and green chilies
32 oz. low sodium chicken stock
3 T. Tomato paste
4 C. hot water
2 cans black beans, drained
3 T cornmeal or masa
5 whole corn tortillas, cut into uniform strips around 2-3 inches
GARNISHES (A must in my opinion!)
Sour cream
Diced avocado
Diced Red onion
Salsa or Pico De gallo
Grated Monterey Jack
Cilantro

INSTRUCTIONS:
Preheat oven to 375.  Mix cumin, chili pepper, garlic powder, and salt.  Drizzle 1 Tbs. olive oil on chicken, then sprinkle a small amount of spice mix on both sides.  Set aside the rest of spice mix.  Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet.  Bake for 20-25 min, or until chicken is done.  Use two forks to shred chicken.  Set aside.
Heat 1 Tbs. olive oil in a pot over medium high heat.  Add onions, red pepper, green pepper, and minced garlic.  Stir and begin cooking, then add the rest of spice mix.  Stir to combine, then add shredded chicken and stir.  Pour in Rotel, chicken stock, tomato paste, water, and black beans.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.  Simmer for 45 minutes, uncovered.
Mix cornmeal with a small amount of water.  Pour into the soup, then simmer for an additional 30 minutes.  Check seasonings, adding more if needed.  Turn off heat and allow to sit for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.  Five minutes before serving, gently stir in tortilla strips.  Ladle into bowls, then top with whatever the H you want!

TIPS:  I added a packet of taco seasoning and a ton of extra cumin.  Now go do yourself and your family a favor and whip this up TONIGHT!

Jules

No comments: